Re: [TCLUG:3679] RFC: ppp_UofM

> Since the subject of connecting to the U of M modem pool with
> Linux has come up several times recently, can I suggest that we
> generate a package (RPM, SRPM, tarball, ...) to simplify the
> process for newbies?

I think that is an excellent idea.  It may be a good idea to submit the
result to the University's computing staff, and they could distribute it
on the CDROMS they give (er.. sell) to many students (although it would
probably end up being officially unsupported or something...)

What would be the best format?  I imagine that a tarball with some sort
of installation script would be best..  The script would ask for a
username, password, and phone number.  I imagine it could also ask if
the user wants pppd(?) to be suid root, so any user can start/stop the
connection.

A little 'modem light' utility for XWindows (or even the console) could
be packaged that would indicate whether the modem is online or offline,
and make connecting/disconnecting a single-click process..

> I'd appreciate any ideas and input from the rest of the list
> members, and would gladly devote time & energy to the project.

Hrm.. I imagine I could dig out a phone cable to do some testing.  I
don't think I have a working script for the U of M right now, though..

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-final