An interesting article that may contain anti-MS sentiment...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/990202-000024.html

DoJ skewers MS exec over falsified video

  Microsoft's defence took a potentially fatal hit today in court, as
the DoJ demonstrated
  that a video demonstration had been 'massaged,' and forced Microsoft
senior VP Jim
  Allchin to concede "they filmed the wrong system." Basically, Allchin
is in big trouble,
  and his evidence is toast.

  The video had been played by Microsoft's defence on Monday. It
ostensibly showed
  how modifications made to Windows 98 by Edward Felten's IE uninstall
program
  caused severe performance degradation.

  But the video has given prosecution lawyer David Boies a courtroom
scene he can
  dine out on for the rest of his life. Boies went through the video,
freeze-framed it and
  showed that a title bar had suddenly changed in the middle of the
'demonstration.' It
  had been edited, and the edit had clearly used two versions of
Windows, one of which
  had not been subject to Felten's modifications.

  Boies hereby wins our newly-created Register Perry Mason of the Year
Award, and
  should reward his unsung researcher handsomely.

  There is no question that someone, somehow, had cooked the video at
Microsoft. A
  flabbergasted Allchin said: "I believe from what I've seen here is,
they filmed the wrong
  system." Microsoft obviously wouldn't do that to deliberately mislead
the judge, would
  it?

  "In this particular case, I do not think the program has been run,"
said Allchin.
  "Obviously there were mistakes done there." Allchin still insists that
Felten's program
  severely impacts the performance of Windows 98, but it's now highly
unlikely that
  many people are going to pay attention to him.

  As a jubilant Boies pointed out, he'd come into court and set forth
his case on the
  basis of evidence that has now been demonstrated to have been tampered
with. He
  can say they made a mistake, and that he's right anyway, but will
anybody believe
  him? Somebody in the Microsoft back rooms just made a big hole in the
defence
  case, well bellow the waterline. ®