Vanilla Clients Maling Clients Archive

Sounds with Linux

I'm trying to get COW sounds working with Red Hat Linux 6.0 (kernel
2.2.5-15), and I just can't seem to get it right.

I'm using XFree86, the Gnome distribution that comes with Red Hat 6, and
Enlightenment 0.15.5 (my Gnome and Enlightenment sounds continue to work
just fine ...)

The sound package was unpacked to /usr/local/netrek/sound, where the
bgsndplay.linux executable and the sounds/ subdirectory live, I added
sound: on, soundplayer: bgsndplay, and sounddir: /usr/local/netrek/sound
to my .netrekrc and put a symlink /usr/local/bin/bgsndplay to
/usr/local/netrek/sound/bgsndplay.linux

The only thing I ever get out of it is a message that sais "/dev/audio:
Device or resource busy"

I can play the .wav files just fine using esdplay from the command line,
and they sound great, I just can't get bgsndplay to play them.  I even
tried building a /bin/sh shell script to map the sounds to esdplay, but
that didn't work either.

I can't make heads nor tails of the bgsndplay source, either.  Which one
was used to compile the bgsndplay.linux executable?  Is there any more
documentation available on this?

Can you help me out here?  Is there something else I need to do go get
this working?

Thanx for your time,
RichD
--