Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2740] That CLOAK_MAXWARP thing and a note about features

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:57:42PM -0800, Carlos Y. Villalpando wrote:

> My question is: Ummmm.... why?  What is the history of the
> CLOAK_MAXWARP feature?  There are comments that indicate it is
> something Joe Rumsey put in, at least in the server. No comments in
> COW. Maybe there was a mis-interpretation somewhere between client and
> server developers. Cloaking info comes across just fine with or
> without it (minor exception noted below).  I'm just wondering if this
> feature is justified in living?  The only thing I can think of is that
> it is a redunant flag just in case the cloak packet was lost.

That's exactly what it is.  It used to be that you'd often lose a cloak
packet, and the ship would appear in its cloaked (randomized) position
on your tactical; it was very distracting.

It's possible that a later edition of short_packets also started
including this information, making the cloak_maxwarp kludge redundant.
  -Tom