our crypto code there, so we are completely in the clear.

For the unaware, the BXA implemented the proposed changes by the Clinton
Administration to relax the export controls.  The changes went into
effect on January 14, 2000.  Visit the BXA web site at www.bxa.doc.gov
for details.

The most important provision of these changes is the exception clause
which essentially allows open source crypto packages to be exported
without restriction under certain circumstances.  Because RSA is a
patented algorithm, it was not clear that we met the conditions for
exemption.  So, I contacted BXA to receive clarification.  I received
a reply stating that we are in the clear.  Below are copies of the
relevant correspondences.

The bottom line is this:
* We can export RES-RSA.
* We must notify BXA at Crypt@BXA.DOC.GOV of the location of the code,
  but the code does not need to be reviewed.
* Hosting our source code at SF is considered equivalent to "posting"
  to the Internet.
* Non-US developers can contribute crypto code without impacting
  exportability.
* We may not export via direct email to some terrorist countries.

Dave