Vanilla List Maling List Archive

[VANILLA-L] Removal of SHORT_PACKETS ifdef variable

I've decided to write a robot capable of recording games - 'CamBot'.

The recording format will record only essential data(data that has
recently changed), record data in a system independent format, and
record the data in a format already understood by clients.

Put simply, CamBot will use the already existing mechanisms
in socket.c to create 'packets' and record them to a disk file.
This 'packets' file will then be able to be read by clients
to replay the game.

In order to accomplish this, I'm going to have to make some changes
to socket.c.  In the process, I think it would be a good idea
to remove the #ifdef references to SHORT_PACKETS, and make the 'feature'
a permanent part of the server code.  The SHORT_PACKETS code
is a significant improvement to the server.  It is referenced
in just about every file on the server, and many of the newer features
require it to be on.  Also, the server, in it's current distribution,
WILL NOT compile if SP is turned off!

There are so many references to SHORT_PACKETS in socket.c that it is
going to be a major headache attempting to work on the file.
Since obviously everyone is using it, and I can think of no reason
to turn it off, I am going to start the process of making it a permanent
feature.  That is, my work will reflect the assumption that SP is
always on.

If there is any objections please let me know ASAP.