[VANILLA-L:952] Metaserver Replication

Okay, in summary we have the following situation;

1) the metaserver.us.netrek.org has apparently disappeared, people are
yelling, and we can't find Nick,

2) Frank is sending Bob the metaserver code base (which I also have), so
that Bob can get one up and running,

3) metaserver.us.netrek.org will be pointed at Bob's server once it is
up.

I support the following future plans;

a) run with three or more metaservers,

b) produce a COW patch that will fallback to another metaserver on
failure to connect,

c) continue to use just ONE metaserver for key distribution,

d) produce a VANILLA patch that will provide a server-list only
metaserver that can be enabled as a function of newstartd, such that
servers can provide backup for the metaservers.

I do NOT support re-coding of the metaserver.  The current code is
simple, available, works well, and is quite compatible with the existing
client and server code base.  Re-coding it would be a large effort due
to interoperability testing, and could significantly impact the
credibility of the metaserver effort.

On Vanilla on Microsoft Windows NT ... it's been tried, the lack of
fork() and inherited file desriptors killed the effort each time.  If
that's been fixed, fine.

If you want things to do; ask.  There's a few things on the back burner
that we can all work on.

--
James Cameron                              (james.cameron@digital.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800