[VANILLA-L:748] Re: [VANILLA-L:747] Authentication vs Encryption

James Cameron writes:
> A secure domain name service has been publically released.  It uses
> cryptographic authentication.  It does not attempt to hide information.
>
> This interpretation of the law may allow us to remove the restrictions
> on access to the authentication source code for the Netrek client to
> server connection.

I agree (of course) with Mr. Gilmore's logic here.  However, my opinion
counts no more than his.  The courts' opinions are what matters, and
this one is still in the appeals process.  Lawyers aren't known for
agreeing with either common sense or reality.

In James' case, the most important opinion is the one his employers
(DEC) hold.  If they say it's ok for him to have RSA source on their
machines, then we're golden.  If not, then we've got to continue with
the current weirdness.

--
       Alec Habig, Boston University Particle Astrophysics Group
			   habig@budoe.bu.edu

PGP signature