[VANILLA-L:775] Re: [VANILLA-L:774] netrek.org, metaserver and stuff

F Niessink wrote:
> Would it be a good idea to start pushing server admins to use the new
> (well not so new) soliciting code for metaserver updates?

I think so.  What do you think, Nick?  Is it robust enough?  I know the
US metaserver was crashing at about the same time I was using the
solicitation code on netrek.att.net.au (which has since gone).

> - I downloaded Vanilla 2.7pl7 the other day and it does not seem to
> have any docs about the soliciting code, not even an example
> .metaserver file: do we need to write that?

Yes, and a template .metaservers (note the name) file might be handy to
have in the manifest ... or build one from a set of queries in a shell
script.

> - James or Nick, could you send me the latest source of the metaserver
> so that I can make sure I'm up to date?

I think Nick has the latest.  I'm running one inside Digital but Nick
hasn't been giving me any updates, so I guess his is the most recent.

The code in 2.7pl7 was prototype code; we wanted more functionality
according to our design.  The web page for the design stuff is still
around; http://surf.Germany.EU.net/toyland/netrek/metadev/

But if the code works, we might as well spread it around.

It is also simple to retro-fit the code to existing servers, provided
they can be recompiled.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800