Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2675] Training server

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999  Dave Ahn wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 10:48:06PM +0200, Kurt Siegl wrote:
>>
>> Ted's robot which is used in the base practice server is able to play
>> a normal game. It has even an INL mode to play real INL games.
>
>Hey Kurt, what conditions did Ted place on his software?  Would it be
>possible for me to get a hold of it if I agree not to pubicly distribute
>it (I recall this being one of the conditions)?  Do you have a current
>email address for Ted?

When I wrote the Vanilla basepractice server long time ago, I asked him
whether I may get the source and be alowed to release binary distributions.
I also promised him not giving away the source.

He agreed and sent me the code without any conditions. I haven't heared
from him since that time.

By looking at the copyright of the source, it's standard Netrek copyright, so
everyone may use and distribute it. Ted's name isn't even mentioned at all
in the whole distribution.

Since Ted seems to be not available anymore, I would say the code should
belong to the Netrek community. If there is a general consence in that and
we should make it available for trainings purpose, it's fine. I asume his
main concearn would have been that the robots should not be abused
for some borg writers using it in real games.

It's only my promise to Ted. If you all think it's in the interrest of Ted and
the Netrek community, I may give away the source.

Kurt (007)

--
Kurt Siegl / Franzberg 4, A-4483 Hargelsberg, Austria
Email: Kurt.Siegl@freemail.at  Tel (ISDN):   *(7225)7017