Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

New encryption laws?

Ok, I know this has been discussed already , but...

If I'm reading this correctly, we send an email to the Men in Black telling
them about netrek.org, and include the RSA stuff in our source code...

So what are we waiting for?

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/qanda.htm

"15. Can an academic who creates an encryption source code program make it
available on the Internet, for example to students or academic colleagues,
without restriction on access?
Yes, under the revised regulations, encryption source code that would be
publicly available (and posting to the Internet itself would make it
publicly available), and which is not subject to an express agreement for
the payment of a licensing fee or royalty for the commercial production or
sale of any product developed using the source code, would be eligible under
License Exception TSU for "unrestricted" source code. Under this policy, the
software may be exported without prior submission to the government for
technical review (although concurrent notification of the export is
required). In addition, software exported under this exception may be posted
to the Internet without restriction and would not be subject to any
requirement to screen for access. Also, such posting would not constitute
knowledge of an export to a prohibited destination under the EAR, including
one of the seven terrorist states. A license requirement would apply only to
knowing exports and reexports (i.e., direct transfer or e-mail) of the
software to prohibited end-users and destinations. In addition, exporters
are not restrained from providing technical assistance (as described in
Section 744.9) to foreign persons working with such source code. "