Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2847] The r.g.n ejection debate

Tom Holub <doosh@best.com> wrote:

> Why don't you go to Yahoo Games!, drop in to one of the advanced
> cards or chess rooms and start playing like an idiot and see what kind
> of attitude you get and how fast you get ejected.

Analogies of netrek to chess or basketball (your other favorite
analogy) are flawed.  These games are popular and widespread.  Do you
think the people who popularized basketball threw people out because
they didn't rotate in a zone defense?

Some facts:

- We can't even keep two servers going.  That's less than 32 players.

- We have trouble filling up clue games and INL games.

Yet somehow we have enough to run an "advanced" server, and can afford
to turn people off to the game?

I know netrek has a lot more problems than just eject, but given our
situation we should be giving every new player (and here I also mean
the DD twinks who obviously aren't raw newbies) every chance we can
give them.

-Jeff