Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2847] The r.g.n ejection debate

Tom Holub <doosh@best.com> wrote:

> Here's a good corollary.  I play a lot of a game called Wordox on won.net.
[..]
> They went to social/intermediate/advanced servers and added ratings to
> the latter two and the game is more fun to play for everyone involved,
> and--here's the kicker--you grow your playerbase by making the game more
> fun to play.

I looked at the site but it requires Java and JavaScript.  Not worth
my time.  My question is this: how many players does it take to play?
Is it one on one or some tiny number?  Netrek has 16 players.  The
analogy simply does not work.  People leave 4 on 4 games in netrek to
go play at the full server.  Ratings are also a lot easier to do in
one on one games.

> The reality of that is that once you're no longer playing pickup, netrek
> no longer becomes something you prioritize, and your attendance at INL
> games drops, eventually to zero in most cases.

Well that's an open question.  There are lots of reasons why they
could have stopped, which I gave last time.  If they can't make a game
every week or two then I guess they just don't want to play netrek.

> > I'm not talking about complete newbies; I'm talking about people who
> > don't understand what space control is.  These players will have NO
> > place to play.
>
> Why can they not play on the social server?

Because people play where there is good lag and a game.  We simply do
not have enough players to divide them up like this.

I've had enough of this thread.  Go ahead and label pickled Advanced,
and continuum Social.

-Jeff