Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3019] technical question

Jay asked about IRC.

I know all about that one.  I manage the IRC network within Compaq, and
have developed clients myself.  If you wish to contact me by voice, let
me know.

Yes, aggregation is done specifically by the code above the TCP/IP stack
but not particularly often.  References include the RFC 1458 and the
various ircd "irc server" implementations that can be found on freshmeat
(http://freshmeat.net/ find irc).  Primary reason for the aggregation
is to support multi-socket operation without stalling on any specific
client connection.

Jay, following on from Carlos comment just then about publicity, we
would _really_ like to mention your client, or your company, and even
you, in a positive light, if Netrek ends up nuking this patent you are
working against.  This would benefit our community far more than it
would benefit you, and would be a suitable reward for our unpaid effort
in assisting you.

--
James Cameron   mailto:quozl@us.netrek.org   http://quozl.us.netrek.org/