Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

RE: [VANILLA-LIST:3019] technical question

On Mit, 22 Mär 2000  Chawla, Jay wrote:

>	A key concept in the present invention is the aggregation of
>	multiple messages in a message queues into a single ULP
>	receive message to a host that maintains multiple
>	payload items in the payload.
>
>So the definition to be used is that 'aggregation' is done at the ULP level,
>not the transport level.  We have an ability to argue in court that
>'aggregation' is a term of art and could mean concatenation on the transport
>level, but the opposing attorneys have a strong argument against us since
>aggregation is defined in the patent's disclosure.

Looks like the main focus will be on the message agregation part.
In netrek the player may send at any time steering messages, torp fire
messages, status changes, ...

All this messages will be collected in the server within a changeable but
fixed time intervall (usually 200 ms). Then the server will calculate and send
new ship position and state updates to the players. So you have everything you
need for that aggregation argument.

Furthermore the server sends only ship positions to foreign races which have at
least one player within a quater galaxy distance. So you have also the group
argument fullfilled with that messages.

Kurt (007)

--
Kurt Siegl / Franzberg 4, A-4483 Hargelsberg, Austria
Email: Kurt.Siegl@freemail.at  Tel (ISDN):   *(7225)7017