Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

RE: [VANILLA-LIST:3019] technical question

Hey, I want to thank all of you guys again!  You are incredible!  I was
buried under paperwork for the last few days -- I had to get out an 'initial
disclosure of prior art' on the patent that you tore up with your analysis.
I will let you know how things proceed -- I've been assigned to perform the
'invalidity analysis' on the patent now that we've identified all of the
prior art.

Thanks, Trent & Dave for your assistance with my meager understanding of
TCP/IP.  You've given me a real boost.

FYI, I should qualify my statement that "a person who authors a patent is
his own lexicographer and grammarian".
They are only in terms of the wording of their patent application.  If a
claim uses the term 'aggregation' and 'aggregation' is defined in the patent
disclosure, then it is interpreted as it was defined in the disclosure.
They can't go in after the fact and say, "oh, I meant such and such" -- they
have to stick with their own wording in the application.  That makes it a
little fairer for us in trying to beat the patent!

Jay