[VANILLA-L:1397] Re: [VANILLA-L:1396] Re: [VANILLA-L:1392] 2.9pl0 plans

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:34:35AM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:

> Are you going to take this release in CVS so we can get it out or just
> bundle it all up in a .tar.gz file or maybe both? :-)

Well, the general procedure for doing a release is to commit everything,
tag the release, then export using that tag.  The export feature will
create a copy of the source without the CVS/* files, which can be
tgz'ed and distributed.  This way, an earlier release can always be
extracted at a later date.

I would also recommend using a second tag to mark the latest release version
so that something like this would be possible:

  cvs checkout			(get most current dev version)
  cvs checkout -r v_2_8_0	(get release 2.8p0)
  cvs checkout -r v_2_9_0	(get release 2.9p0)
  cvs checkout -r release	(get latest release, which would be 2.9p0)

For a large scale project, it would be good to make a dev branch at the
release point.  That way, big changes could be made to the dev branch
without affecting the main branch (as is the case with LTD stuff for 3.0).
In general, a parallel dev branch is a good idea, but since we have so few
people working on the server, it probably isn't necessary.

James, this means that you're going to have to learn about branches soon...
:)

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+