[VANILLA-L:1442] Re: [VANILLA-L:1440] CVS help request

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:59:00AM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> # pwd
> /root/Vanilla/
> # cvs add gum
> # cvs commit gum

This only creates the directory in the repository.  It does not recursively
add files in the directory you just created.

> It listed the files, but didn't create a CVS directory down in the gum
> subdirectory.  So I went down there and added each file ...
>
> # cd gum
> # cvs add *
> # cvs commit

Yes, this is what you need to do.  A word of warning: don't do stuff like
cvs add dir1
cvs add dir1/dir2
cvs add */*/* */*

I have seen CVS get confused and trash the repository with this type of
mass additions into various subdirs.

> Now, that created a CVS subdirectory, and the delay over the modem
> showed it was sending it up to the CVS server.  But I can't get at the
> directory from another machine ...
>
> # cvs checkout gum
> cvs server: cannot find module `gum' - ignored
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

You need to do 'cvs checkout Vanilla/gum'.  When you add a subdirectory,
all you get is a subdirectory.  'gum' is not a separate module.  If you
want to be able to do 'cvs checkout gum' but still keep gum in the Vanilla
repository, get Bob to add the line "gum Vanilla/gum" line to
CVSROOT/modules file.

> Gives me silence, and a global "cvs update" doesn't fetch the new code.

This is the default behavior of cvs update.  If you want to fetch new
subdirectories from a pre-existing checkout (i.e. cd Vanilla; cvs update),
do 'cvs update -d'.  Of course, a fresh 'cvs checkout' will always fetch
all subdirs.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+