Still trying to figure out dialing into my ISP (Qwest).  Here's the
configurations on some files (with errors at the end):

/etc/ppp/pppscript:
TIMEOUT 60
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" "AT&FH0"
OK "atdt<phone number>"
TIMEOUT 75
CONNECT

/etc/ppp/options:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyS0
230400
crtscts
#Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
# debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISP's will not do.  To work around
this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side
effects
# On system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in
/usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
#noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
name "<uid>"

/etc/ppp/options.demand:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyS0
230400
crtcs
#Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
# debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISP's will not do.  To work around
this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side
effects
# On system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in
/usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
#noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
name "<uid>"
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
0.0.0.0:10.10.10.10
demand
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/pppscript"

/etc/resolv.conf:
search qwest.net
nameserver <ip address>

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
"<uid>"     *     "<password>"

Here's what shows up on-screen:
root at glyndale:/etc/ppp# ppp-go
root at glyndale:/etc/ppp# Serial connection established
using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0<--> /dev/ttyS0
LCP: Timeout sending Config-Requests

When I go and look at /var/log/messages here's what relates to the
error:
pppd[212]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
 chat[213]: timeout set to 60 seconds
chat[213]: abort on (ERROR)
chat[213]: abort on (BUSY)
chat[213]: abort on (NO CARRIER):
chat[213]: abort on (NO DIALTONE):
chat[213]: send (AT&FH0^M^M)
chat[213]: OK
chat[213]: --got it
chat[213]: send (atdt<phone#>^M)
chat[213]: timeout set to 75 seconds
chat[213]: expect (CONNECT)
chat[213]: ^M
chat[213]: atdt<phone#>^M^M
pppd[212]: Serial connection established.
pppd[212]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[212]: Connect: ppp0<--> /dev/ttyS0
chat[213]: CONNECT
chat[213]:  --got it