On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 12:35:14AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:

> Yeah, I've got AT&T with the '2-feature pack'.  Haven't gotten the first
> bill yet, but I remember it being at least cheap enough to drop qwest
> for. :)  (the two features are call waiting and caller id, afair.  and
> call waiting caller id is included too i think.)

I've got AT&T's local phone service, the ~6 hour battery backup in the
unit is nifty, as well as the ability to take it to the neighbors house.
It's also got _very_ good modem connection quality, considering you've
got a whopping $length_of_phone_cord_in_your_home foot of analog.

The only real downside is that /all/ of my calls claim to be originating
in shoreview, and none of the dial-this-number-and-automatically-get-
the-closest-location numbers work, such as Pizza Hut.

>							  Only thing AT&T
> doesn't do is Privacy+. :|

That's what vgetty is for =)  I wrote a perl script that talks to a SQL
database, when a call comes it looks up the # in the SQL database, each
record in the database has an 'owner' (wife, husband, kids, roommate..)
and a priority, the client runs on any OS that perl runs on, and listens
for a UDP packet containing the #, a customized 'name' from the database
(very useful for those evil cell phone companies that come up as 'MINNEAPOLIS')
and the owner+priority. The client can be set to an owner and priority,
you can choose to ignore calls not specificly for you, as well as setting
a priority level (ie, kids cell phone is level 90, work is 50, you set
the level to 89 at night so that work can't wake you up =).

I haven't worked on it in a while due to the box I had running it going
offline (bringing it back soon). Although I do plan on adding vgetty
to the mix, along with daily schedules for when to change priority levels.

As a side benefit, it logs all (incoming/outgoing) calls, including the
duration of the call, although I haven't managed to (easily) listen to
the outgoing DTMF with the particular modem I have.