On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> Just don't get confused by the two different types of 64 bit processors.
>
> As long as you are talking about AMD64, or x86-64 - pretty must all of
> the distros support it.  This is what most people mean when they say 64
> bit.  Pretty much every common processor supports the AMD64 extensions
> these days.
>

> There is, however, another 64 bit architecture - the Intel Itanium chips
> - not nearly as many distros support that - I see that redhat / fedora
> does http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/IA64
>
> Those processors are typically much more expensive, however.

Right about IA64.  But haven't the 64-bit Xeon's gotten a lot of
marketshare lately?  I think what you have written is what I would have
written a couple of years ago but now that I am shopping again, it looks
like Xeon x5400 series are 64-bit quad-core chips that come on a lot of
server systems.

So will software compiled for AMD x64 work just as well on Xeon x64?  It
looked like the Ubuntu web page on 64-bit OS was making no important
distinction between AMD and Intel.

Mike