-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Isaac Atilano
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 1:08 PM
To: Dan Armbrust
Cc: p.daniels; tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Richard Stallman Talking on UofM Campus 21 October

> There is nothing restrictive about GPL. Restriction implies that you're
> being denied the exercise of an action. GPL doesn't deny you anything.
> It imposes obligation. There's a difference between the two.
> As for why one would subject themselves to these obligations, there are
> many reasons developers do this. Many do it because they feel that the
> only way to ensure computing freedom is for certain obligations to be
> imposed on developers. In an ideal world, one would not have to impose
> these obligations but we live in a world where proprietary software
> marginalizes computing freedom and it is felt that the best way to
> spread computing freedom is to have those who benefit from that freedom,
> to have them also grant that freedom to others. The addage "freedom is
> not free" applies.

The "GPL is not restrictive" debate is a common one. I don't disagree the
GPL has good value and intentions; I just don't think it is as free of
restrictions as some claim.

IMO this is a pretty objective comparison of many common licenses and also
how they apply to OpenBSD specifically.
http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

They both (GPL and BSD licenses) have their place and they are useful in
their own way. I think they both represent a form of free software but I
think the GPL is more forceful due to the restriction placed on one making
changes. It almost is like a paradox, GPL asserts more freedom overall by
sacrificing some of your individual freedom as you have to release your
changes. That is how I see it anyways though I have not pondered the subject
as much in recent years.