On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Isaac Atilano wrote:

> There is nothing restrictive about GPL. Restriction implies that you're
> being denied the exercise of an action. GPL doesn't deny you anything.
> It imposes obligation. There's a difference between the two.

I think that is a good point and an important distinction.  I'll have to
remember to explain it that way to people.

The idea is that GPL allows you to do anything at all with the code, so it
is unrestricted, totally free and no license can be freer than that.  The
one obligation is that a developer has to share the source with anyone who
has purchased a compiled program, but the cost of transmitting the code to
the user is borne by the user unless it is done via the web (in which
case it myst be free) -- see GPL3 sec. 6b, GPL2 sec 3b.

Mike