On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> See my message and invitation to Richard Stallman below followed by his
> reply after that.  (I'm more than happy to pay for Stallman's food/drinks,
> etc. myself but would accept donations.)
>
> So here's the big thing:  Stallman isn't saying that he won't meet with us
> under other conditions, but he is saying that *promises* to meet with us
> only if we change the name of TCLUG to Twin Cities GNU/Linux User Group
> (TCGLUG?).  He wants the GNU in there!

While I do recognize and respect the GNU participation in terms of
"GNU/Linux", and I support RMSs' fight so that it's not forgotten,
I'll have hard time to support name change, for the following reasons
(not in particular order):

1. To shorten long terms is so human for everyday speech, that I (as
not part of GNU project) see very natural for all practical purposes
to use Linux instead of GNU/Linux.
2. LUG is very very popular abbreviation - I could not find any GLUG.
And for everybody out there (out TC I mean) LUG is something which
sounds familiar and understandable, but GLUG?
3. I do not like un-negotiable conditions, no matter who sets them.
And frankly speaking, RMS can do better if he meets us, and convince
at least 3 more people that GNU part of GNU/Linux is important, that
requesting a name change, as the other way around - eventually not
meeting anybody (convincing anybody), if we decide not to change the
name.

Anyway - in RMS's words (see the other thread) - I know he is right,
and I'll not object a name change, but I would not "recommend" it :)

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.