On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Robert Wilkinson wrote:

> I claim no greatness! I take nothing away from what Stallman has
> contributed, and I even agree with some of his philosophy.
>
> I reject his discourteous, rude, egotistical, arrogant, selfish, self
> serving, attitudes.
>
> A gentleman would have graciously accepted the invitation, and politely
> suggested while breaking bread that TCLUG think about changing the name.
>
> I don't give a rats behind what the name is, it's the way he went about
> it.  He has a lot of class: ALL LOW.
>
> BTW:  I also reject the sometimes irrational and venomous ramblings of
> some of his closed minded, hateful, devoted followers.

I thought Stallman's letters to me were very friendly and courteous.  All
of the venomous words on this list seem to be coming from people who don't
like Stallman for some reason.  Many of the comments strike me as childish
and unjustified.

Stallman's reason for wanting to promote the term "GNU/Linux" seem pretty
obvious:  He has dedicated his life to promoting free software and adding
the "GNU" to form GNU/Linux helps to attract attention to his cause.  I
don't think it has anything to do with ego.  He called it GNU, not
Richanix or Stallnix.  I suppose it was cute and not egotistical for Linus
to have named his contribution Linux.  Stallman did come up with the name
"POSIX" (pronounced like "positive") for the IEEE collection of standards
that Linux adheres to.

I like the term GNU/Linux for two reasons.  First, it draws attention to
the importance of the free software concept in the development of the
system and in the recent history (and hopefully the future) of computing:

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whycare

    Calling the system GNU/Linux recognizes the role that our idealism
    played in building our community, and helps the public recognize the
    practical importance of these ideals.

Second, use of GNU/Linux recognizes the central importance of the GNU
project in the developmental history of the Linux kernel.  In Linus