Chuck Cole wrote:
> The only issue here is change of the list and domain name TCLUG.  More credit is due von Neumann than GNU in any case.  Only the
> TCLUG founders, maintainers, and those paying for the associated domain names have a say in this matter BECAUSE they chose TCLUG
> when most knew full and well, and TCLUG was appropriate then and for years afterwards.   Wear whatever ID bracelet you choose
> because that is your choice.  Changing the TCLUG name is not yours to choose.  You are a relative newcomer here.. and an excellent
> contributor most of the time.  :-)

  I wouldn't say that's the only issue here, actually.  As a matter of
fact, the domain name wasn't originally (and for many things, still
isn't) tclug.org, it was mn-linux.org (i.e., the list address we're both
sending to).  I registered tclug.org years after the fact because
someone complained at a meeting (at the U, as I recall) that
"mn-linux.org" wasn't the most intuitive domain name for TCLUG.
  The "TCLUG founders," such as they were, got that domain so that it
could serve as an umbrella for any and all (G?)LUGs in the state.  I
know for a while SCALUG could be found at http://scalug.mn-linux.org
(although that doesn't appear to be the case anymore, nor the later
scalug.us).

  What TCLUG's current name (or, at the very least, acronym) has going
for it is its guessability (yay, made-up word!).  People move to the
Twin Cities and wonder if there's a LUG (a long-established and
widely-used acronym) here.  What might they search for?
  I don't care very much about what our group's name is, "official" or
otherwise.  I don't personally say "GNU/Linux," but that's a matter of
habit, not a statement on any feelings about GNU.  I don't feel
passionately one way or the other about the idea of a name change.  I
strongly question, though, changing the acronym when it has a lot of
history behind it (and not just because I have a domain wrapped up in
it).  If that means "the 'G' is silent," so be it.

  And for what it's worth, "you are a relative newcomer here" could be
said about a lot of people on this list, myself included.  Is this a
democracy?  A meritocracy?  A chronocracy?  A
whoever-gets-off-their-duff monarchy?
  That might be a better question to answer before we try considering
who has say in the group.

      Jima

  who thinks 'GLUG' would go well with beer meetings