Chuck Cole wrote:

> No: that's historical FACT for over 20 years I know of personally (and more told by designated historians of the associations).  The
> 20 or so professional associations (technical ones) with local membership of about 20,000 comprised of those who have graduated
> already from various universities CHOOSE NOT TO MEET THERE or be affiliated.  Parking is a big reason, but the U itself has been
> hostile to properly constituted national organizations that are not under control of the U, except for student groups which are
> under U control.  I tried to improve things for 5 years as VP of an umbrella group for these associations, and had mission, had the
> mailing lists, and had alumni help, so my info is quite valid.  Connections and help were of no use.  I had a professional research
> fund-providing interface also.  The U taught me/us that a connection with or to them is "not productive to pursue" and can be bad
> sometimes.  You may contact the professional associations yourself (perhaps  you qualify for membership in some or are a member) and
> ask them why they ceased meeting there long ago.  Once you've contacted five or more associations, you can begin to see this picture
> and know what the history really is.

Cool story.
>> Some leadership for this group would be good - at least we would have
>> someone actively trying to set up meetings (and look for speakers) or
>> installfests instead of what we have now.
>>

> The group has discussed leadership before and chose to avoid any.  I favored and proposed some as a 501c3 non-profit, but not at or
> by the U.  Maybe now it with present attrition it can become a student group at the U.
>

> Do you have 20 years of history in this topic or stories direct from more than ten associations that have even more history?.
>
> I prefer not to discuss the negatives, except to show history in counter-response to your claim.   We should be concerned with TCLUG
> and not hampered by any special connection to U of MN or other that may or could limit that.   Get clear on what the priority really
> is.
>

> Chuck

I remember your idea of setting up a non-profit and also the reaction of
it being too pointless to peruse. Why do some seem to think that
"leadership" means bureaucracy and all that associated 'crap'? All it
means is someone (or a group) taking charge to get something done. It's
been happening before - how did the previous installfests and meetings
get organized? Someone took charge, or leadership if you will, to get it
done.

And how does having the meeting in a lecture hall at building at the U
make any special connection with it?