Best advice of all!

>  From
> there, google, IRC, and mailing lists can be your friend.  I've found
> I learn more wading through man pages and assistance than I do from
> books.

Often true.  Writing styles (or purpose) can be a bad mismatch - or a match.

> That being said, I understand some still like that dead-tree reference
> laying around, so I'd suggest going to your local book store, and
> browsing through a few of the books on their shelves.  See what you
> can glean from there, and pick the one that seems most helpful.  If
> you find a good one, let us know.

Some online refs are good and save trees.  Many refs exist online.  Here are some refs:

One Page Linux Manual (cheat sheet)
     www.digilife.be/quickreferences/QRC/The%20One%20Page%20Linux%20Manual.pdf

 Free Linux eBooks  http://freebooks.homelinux.org/

Introduction to Linux   http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html