>> I understand some still like that dead-tree reference laying around
>
> I do like to have a good reference/guide book around, as my Linux box
> currently isn't hooked up to the Net.

I'll second the recommendation for the Mark Sobell book. When I was
teaching Linux classes I used a couple of earlier versions of his book.
(Technically different books with different titles.) He will get as deep

One online resource I didn't see mentioned (I may have missed it) that
might be useful is Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition at
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

It is available for download in PDF or HTML

Good Luck!

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com