On Oct 12, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Nick Scholtes wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Thank you so much for all this useful info! I did go to my local
> Barnes and Noble and took a good look at what they had, and that
> helped me figure out what I wanted (something more CLI-oriented).
> I'll also take a look a the online references you all gave.

---

> Have goals -
> Yes, I agree with having a goal in mind first. I was thinking about
> this. What about re-building the kernel? Or maybe de-compiling (you
> can do that, yes?) and re-compiling several programs would give me
> good practice.
> Thoughts?

Why would you compile or decompile the kernel?  Compiling the kernel
isn't a goal - it's the means to a specific end - a static module for
hardware, reducing the memory footprint for some specific hardware
requirement.  The days of recompiling a kernel 'just because' are gone.

Why are you going to decompile software?  Something you're looking for?

By goals, I mean something such as a specific driver, or a piece of
software that doesn't have a package for your OS of choice.  Or, learn
how to configure your Xorg for dual monitors.  That sort of thing.

Hope this helps.

---
Eric Crist