Thank you all for responding.  My main interest was whether others have
the problem.  A "yes" answer gives me reassurance it isn't unique to me.

I'm invoking "hibernate" not "suspend" to totally power down.  My box is
a Sony Vaio VGN-N220E.  lspci is rather lengthy, but I believe the video
part is as follows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Sony Corporation Device 8212
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information <?>

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Sony Corporation Device 8212
	Memory at dc100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
	I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
	Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at dc200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
	Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Count=1/1 Enable-
	Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Sony Corporation Device 8212
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Memory at dc180000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
	Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

As I mentioned, hibernate mostly works, but totally powers down perhaps
1/3 of the time.  If someone does realize 100% execution with such a box
I'd be interested.