On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:11 -0500, Isaac Atilano wrote:
> resize2fs won't change the partition size but you can use it to extend
> the filesytem to use the new, larger partition.

Indeed! Thanks for the correction, Isaac.

Let me try again, assuming the original poster didn't want to change the
partition layout, they could:

* use dd to clone the whole disk onto a larger disk
* use parted to grow the partition
* use resize2fs to grow the filesystem

...yes? I've not tried this myself, but it sounds like it should work.

If I were to upgrade a disk, I'd probably use the "Hard Disk Upgrade
Mini How-To" that Justin mentioned instead, I just wanted to complete
the thought exercise.

--
Adam Monsen