On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:35:54AM -0500, Adam Monsen wrote:
> * use dd to clone the whole disk onto a larger disk
> * use parted to grow the partition
> * use resize2fs to grow the filesystem

dd is a good tool, but it's best to understand what it does.  dd copies
data at the block level - it cares not about the data, or the
partitioning, or anything like that.  Chunk in, chunk out.  It's great
for doing things like:

"Oh, I need a 100MB test file"
dd if=/dev/random of=100MB_test_file bs=1M count=1024

I think dd is bad, however, for moving disks.

First, unless your disks are exactly the same size, you might/will run
into problems (perhaps with some filesystems you can adjust them after
the fact).  Second, it's inefficient.  Say you're moving from a 200GB
hard drive to a 400GB hard drive, and you're using about 40GB of your
200GB hard drive.  DD will copy 200GB, even though you're only using
40GB.  That's right, it'll copy 160GB of empty space, because it doesn't
know better.  Also, you'll end up with 200GB partitions on the 400GB
drive.

I've always preferred to setup the partitions on a new device and then
use a higher level tool to move the data over to the new locations.

Hope that helps,
dan

--
As implied by email protocols, the information in this message is not
not confidential.  Any middle-man or recipient may inspect, modify,