On Tuesday October 21 2008 04:04:41 pm benjamin gramlich wrote:
> I think it's difficult to make the case that free software helps to
> preserve our personal freedom. Free software really only benefits those
> who have the knowledge to make use of the access to source code.

This is demonstrably false. I don't code. At all. I haven't written an
original line of code since the fourth grade. But when I found a bug (or
rather, a "mis-feature") in my music player (gmusicbrowser, released under
gpl3) I wrote the developer an email saying "here's my problem," and in the
next version it was fixed. If it hadn't been, I could have asked someone else
who knows perl to help me fix it, or paid someone else who knows perl to do it
for me. In a nutshell, I didn't even look at the code, and I (in a personal
and immediate way) benefited from the free software development process.

> The true threat to my freedom is my dependence upon another's generosity
> for my employment and thus my livelihood. Or illegal wire tapping. Or
> gerrymandering.

Let's flip those second two examples just slightly. "Wire-tapping" can be
trivially accomplished these days with the non-free software in your own
phone. The 21st century equivalent of gerrymandering seems to be non-free
software in voting machines.

Would you say that those are threats to your freedom?

-p.