On Tuesday October 21 2008 04:04:41 pm benjamin gramlich wrote:

> I think it's difficult to make the case that free software helps to

> preserve our personal freedom. Free software really only benefits
those

> who have the knowledge to make use of the access to source code.

RMS addressed this in his talk last night.  Even if you do not have the
skills, you are free to hire someone to make the changes you want, much
as you would hire a professional to renovate your home if you did not
have the carpentry or plumbing skills (image a "proprietary house" where
only the manufacturer could make changes or repairs!).

He also noted that everyone benefits from contributions others make as
the code continues to develop and evolve.

Neither would possible if the software was not free.