Re: (ASCEND) K56..

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Walden <andy@ns2.mtco.com>
To: Greg Hale <greghale@logantele.com>
Cc: ascend-users@bungi.com <ascend-users@bungi.com>
Date: Friday, November 28, 1997 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: (ASCEND) K56..

>We had to add a 4db pad trunk to
>> trunk on our Nortel DMS-10 before we could get any 56flex connection.
This
>> is not standard for a telephone company.  Usually padding is added line
>> trunk on EAS and Toll trunks.
>
>Wow, I'm not a telco guy, we do have a DMS 10 though. I know some of the
>other cities that we provide access have them as well through GTE mostly.
>Can you explain this a bit to me please as I would like to be able to go
>to the telco guys and explain what to check for.

Well from the response I've seen so far I'm not sure all of my assumptions
are right.  It looks like some people are getting higher connects than 42000
with channelized T1's though most are talking about Livingston and USR.  It
could be that we can't do B8ZS/ESF as well.  I was told that this shouldn't
make the difference however.  Maybe it's just the DMS-10.

Well anyway Andy.  When the telephone company sets up the trunk group on a
DMS-10 there is a field called TGDP.  This field is used for the padding.
We had to set this field to DIOD which puts a 4db pad trunk to trunk.
Usually TGDP is set to ELOC, or ILOC or something of the sorts for other
trunks that the phone company traditionally uses.  If they are serving you
with channelized T1's from a DMS-10 I would ask them how this is set and ask
them to try changing it to DIOD and see what happens.  Someone else on this
list filled me in on this so I'm sure it has worked in more than one place.

Greg Hale
Logan Telephone