Re: (ASCEND) Gateway

On Wed, Nov 19, 1997 at 09:35:07AM +0100, Rob Dirksen wrote:

> I have a question about the Gateway parameter in the static route menu
> and the manual does not give me enough information.
>
> Is the Gateway the Ip address of a router on the other side of the WAN
> or is it something on the same net as the pipiline is sitting.

Either. It is a directly reachable system (directly via either
the ethernet interface or a point to point interface [i.e. beeing a
LAN Adrs in one of the enabled profiles]) to which you want IP packets
to be forwarded in order for them to reach the net given as Destination.
Which you use depends on your topology. And whether you need static
routes at all.

> To be more precise:
> My home situation is just one PC with one pipe 50.
> The office situation is one pipe 50 with an NTserver and a bunch of PC's
> all on the same network.

Your PC is uplinked to the home P50. The home P50 is uplinked to the
office P50. The office is not linked any further (you didn't mention
a router to the Internet).

> What do I fill in the Gateway parameter of my default static route at
> home: my PC's IP address or the address fo the pipe in the office?

You missed question one: What to fill in the PC itself ?

Typical uplink:

PC:       0.0.0.0/0 (default) via IP-of-P50@home
P50@home: 0.0.0.0/0 (default) via IP-of-P50@office

The P50 in the office has no default route.

> What should I fill in the Gateway parameter in the office pipe:
> either the IP address of the NT server or the address of my home pipe.

Neither.

> Or may be nothing at all??

Exactly - disable the default route. You would enable it if you have
a default gateway to the internet in your office net and point it
there.

BTW, you could replace the default route on your P50@home with an
explicite route to your office network to prevent it from dialing
on destinations which are not in your office net anyway. Nicely enough
you don't have to do anything for this to occure because Ascend gear
adds such route automatically based on LAN Adrs IP and Netmask. So you
could live with disabled default route on anything but your PC.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |