(ASCEND) Time of Day Restriction

>From: Geoff Dornan <gdornan@atlantic.co.za>
>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:19:50 +0200
>Subject: (ASCEND) Time of day connectivity
>
>Hi,
>Is there a way that we can control a user connecting to a max based on
>time ie he can only connect to the max from 9:00am to 3:30pm,
>
>Any suggestions

We are going to be doing the same sort of thing.  The only way I've figured
it out is do this:

Specify these two radius attributes:

Session-Timeout (27)       = 3600
Max-Call-Duration (125)    = 60

You can do this PER user.

Then anyone that dials in at 9:00 am, would get disconnected after 1 hour.

At 9:30, you would replace the radius USERS file (with a cron job), and
specify this:

Session-Timeout (27)       = 1800
Max-Call-Duration (125)    = 30

At 9:30, now, anyone that dials in would get disconnected after 1/2 hour.

Basically by strategically modifying the radius file and different time
intervals, with Radius Dictionary Attributes of #27 and #125, you could do
what you want.  Unfortunately the trick is to write out a cron job that
will go in and modify the radius users file every 15 minutes or half hour,
etc...

And say at 10:00am you didn't want these guys to login at all, then you
would simply run through the users file again, and temporarily remove these
entries, or REM ##### them out..

Not an easy task, but a solution nonetheless.

I figured by posting this lengthy solution, it would do two things:

1) Offer you a solution

2) Spark the interest of some Sys Admin that has a better method to share.. :)

- Shiloh Costa
  MDI Internet Inc.