(ASCEND) Another round

I hate to bring this thread up again, but it does bear on the stability of
any software including Ascend's OS.

Who are Ascend's customers?  And do we really need all these features?
I've got this TNT with "features" I can't even begin to guess what they
would be used for and suspect they aren't used by 99% of the people who own
them.  But I have no doubt whatsoever that they negatively impact the
stability (and performance) of the OS.

I'm reminded of IBM's OS 360 project (does that date me:).  This was a
product that was too ambitious for the design, organization, coding and
testing methods of the time.  As a result, 60% of the features never did
work.  And every time one bug was fixed it would let you into a new section
of code where 10 more bugs would be discovered.  Finally, IBM gave up
trying to fix it and froze the release because the harder they worked the
longer the bug list and customer complaints got.

While design methods, programming methods and languages have done a lot to
address large project issues, every method has its limit with respect to
complexity.  More complex projects must wait until better methods are
developed.

To increase stability may require a reduction in complexity.  That is, if
Ascend's OS is to ever become truly stable, there may need to be a
reduction in complexity at this stage of the project.

So again I ask, who are Ascend's customers?  What features do they not
need?  What features are they willing to give up for increased stability?

Apple Computer showed the world what a mistake it was to ignore their
customer base and go chasing after a market share that didn't want them.
Ascend is chasing RBOCs.  Are they a significant part of Ascend's market?
Does Ascend believe the myth about ISP consolidation and RBOC dominance?

When Netscape first came out with their servers for Windows NT, I ran them
for nearly a year before changing to Microsoft's somewhat more modest IIS
1.0.  There was only one issue involved in my decision - stability.
Netscape's server crashed every three days and Microsoft's server did not -
one went 15 months without a crash or reboot.  In a production environment
with customers depending on you, stability wins over "features" everyday of
the week.

I would like to see this list die for lack of interest because every Ascend
box out there is humming along perfectly.

--Tony