(ASCEND) MAX 4000 Callback problem

We have a setup with dial-in and dial-out for LAN customers. This has
worked just fine until we decided to change the way we do dial-outs.

We want to request a callback whenever we need to do a dial out, but it
doesn't seem to work properly.

Here is the setup:

MAX 4000 with 5.0Ap36.

Radius entries:

3955xxxx        Password = "Ascend-CLID"
                User-Name = "test",
                User-Service = Framed-User,
                Framed-Protocol = MPP,
                Framed-Address = 194.192.xxx.17,
                Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.240,
                Framed-Routing = None,
                Ascend-Link-Compression = Link-Comp-None,
                Ascend-Route-IP = 1,
                Ascend-Idle-Limit = 30,
                Ascend-Data-Svc = Switched-64K,
                Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 2,
                Ascend-Send-Auth=Send-Auth-None

test-out        Password = "ascend"
                User-Name = "test",
                User-Service = Dialout-Framed-User,
                Ascend-Data-Svc = Switched-64K,
                Ascend-Expect-Callback = Expect-Callback-Yes,
                Ascend-Send-Auth=Send-Auth-None,
                Ascend-Dial-Number = 8-3955xxxx

route-MAX-1     Password = "ascend", User-Service = Dialout-Framed-User
                Framed-Route = "194.192.xxx.16/28 194.192.xxx.17 1 n test-out"

Sometimes this works, but mostly it only works after several dial-out
tries.

The latter case illustrated by this syslog output:

ASCEND: slot 9 port 1, Outgoing Call, 8-3955xxxx
ASCEND: slot 0 port 0, line 2, channel 11, Incoming Call, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Assigned to port, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, line 2, channel 11, Call Connected, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: call 129 AN slot 9 port 2 64K 8745xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, LAN security error, test
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Call Terminated
ASCEND: call 129 CL 0K  u=3955xxxx c=101 p=67
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Outgoing Call, 8-3955xxxx
ASCEND: call 130 CL 0K   c=2 p=2
ASCEND: slot 0 port 0, line 1, channel 3, No Connection, Cause code 017
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Call Terminated
ASCEND: slot 0 port 0, line 2, channel 12, Incoming Call, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 1, Call Terminated
ASCEND: call 128 CL 0K   c=2 p=2
ASCEND: slot 0 port 0, line 1, channel 2, No Connection
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Assigned to port, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, line 2, channel 12, Call Connected, 3955xxxx
ASCEND: call 131 AN slot 9 port 2 64K 8745xxxx
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, LAN session up, test
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, LAN session down, test
ASCEND: slot 9 port 2, Call Terminated
ASCEND: call 131 CL 0K  u=3955xxxx c=100 p=65

When I set the customer router to callback after a few seconds it
increases the chances of success, which seems to indicate that the MAX
won't accept a call while it is still dialing out.

The customer router disconnects the initial call immediately, but the MAX
seems to keep the line open for a few seconds, and hence the problem.

Is there any way to make the MAX accept a callback call although it is
still actively requesting the callback? - or is there a way to make the
MAX disconnect a callback request quicker?

I tried Ascend-Shared-Profile-Enable = Yes, but it doesn't seem to have
any effect.

I could make the customer router wait several seconds before calling back,
but that is not acceptable. Setting up a connection using callback is slow
enough as it is.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Regards,
--