(ASCEND) Re: Using wddialout to troubleshoot excessive dialing

>I have a client routing IP to me. He's using a Pipeline 25, 5.0A. He's been
>complaining of excessive usage, and indeed it appears that the link comes
>up when he's not doing anything. It's pretty basic: IP routing, no bridging
>(he bridges AppleTalk to another profile), no IPX, no RIP.
>
>I turned on wddialout. Can anyone give me a hint on reading this? You can
>read it for me if you like, but give a man a fishing line...

First, thanks _very_ much to everyone who responded to this. All the
an AppleTalk broadcast packet.

The problem was that the stock IP Call filter was... nothing. The usual few
filters were just empty. I reentered the stock filter and all is well.

This raises a question: this profile is IP routing only; no bridging, no
IPX. I've always thought that setting profiles up like this set up an
implied IP-only filter that wasn't shown anywhere. Evidently not: you
apparently also need the IP call filter to prevent it from dialing on any
old thing. Live and learn, but this seems wrong-headed to me.

What does setting IP routing, no bridging, no IPX do besides turn IP
routing on and IPX off? It certainly appeared to be trying to bridge on
that profile...

Pipelines were running 5.0A. I just put 'em both to 5.1Ap6.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/