Re: (ASCEND) Beta FAQ page on Pipes......

At 11:16 1997/12/09 -0500, David Lesher wrote:
>Please comment/correct this before I send it to Jason....

>A) The oldest version used a wall-wart that furnished AC
>to the box. The power plug into the Pipe was a Mini-Din-5
>[think PS/2 rodent]. All of these units were actually S/T bus,
>with U-channel models having an added daughter board for the
>NT1. (This board is removable so a U-channel can be turned back
>into a S/T.) This is sometimes called a revA.
>	Load code version labeled: b1.p50

>B) The next revision (revB) added a back panel toggle switch that
>never did anything, and less-visibly, had RAM to hold the running
>code, not just flash. You could update these via ftp as well as
>console.
>The Pipe 50 and 50HX were the only models using the above platform.
>	Load code version labeled: b.p50

I think there is a model missing here,
I have a p50 with AC, ser# 5245376, no switch
running 5.1A-b.p50  not b1...
purchased about two months before the DC models arrived,
it originally ran version 4.4.

also no note on item B if AC/DC power

>C) The next design generation used a DC-out wall-wart, and an
>ordinary coaxial power plug on the back. Internally, they used
>different boards on the U or S/T [no more daughter board] models.
>
>These appeared as the Pipe 25 family. They had slower CPU's than
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D