Re: (ASCEND) Pipe75 won't drop one bonded line

What you'd like to accomplish isn't possible. The Pipe will only drop a
channel under the following circumstances:

	1. you have a two-channel bonded connection to the same
destination and there is an incoming call.

	2. you have a two-channel bonded connection to the same
destination and there is an outgoing call (pick up a phone plugged into a
POTs port on the back of the unit).

If the Pipe brings up a second channel (to the same destination) during a
data transfer, the only thing that will make it drop a channel is one of
the above situations.

Note that connecting to multiple service providers with a Pipe is more or
less a hack in the software which is evident from the fact that you can
only specify one login name (the myname parameter) in the pipe.

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Danny Williams wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion - all the settings on both ends were as you
> listed below, except for the IdlePct=40 (mine was at 0). This made no
> difference. I initiated another 2 channel call to the branch, then
> tried to bring up the other connection by FTPing out to the internet.
> The Pipe waited until the transfer to the branch was done, then
> waited for the timeout period, then dropped the line and brought up
> the ISP connection. I'd rather have it drop one of the two bonded
> channels regardless of how much traffic is going down it. I'm trying
> to achieve this:
> chan1:dial branch
> chan1:100% 64k to branch
> chan2: dial branch, bond with chan1
> chan1+2: 100% 128k to branch
> (initiate activity bound for other location)
> chan2:disconnect
> chan1:remain at 100% 64k
> chan2:dial ISP
> chan2:send a few packets to ISP
> chan2:disconnect
> chan2:dial branch
> chan2:bond with chan1 (still at 100% 64k)
> chan1+2: 100% 128k to branch.
> disconnect both channels when transfer complete
> > go into the connection profile
> >
> > 20-101
> > Encaps options...
> > >Dyn Alg=Quadratic
> >   Sec History=15
> >   Add Pers=5
> >   Sub Pers=10
> >   Target Util=70
> >    Idle Pct=40
> >
> > the above profile means based on a 15 second averge, if i use more
> > than 70% for 5 seconds, add a chanell. if i use less than 40% for 10
> > seconds, reduce a channel.
> >
> > Leon

 Mark Eissler             |        BigEndian Systems Inc.
 marke@bigendian.com      |     http://www.bigendian.com/

             finger  marke@sprite.bigendian.com
 <------ Please quote original message with reply. ----->