(ASCEND) Re: OSPF / Max4000

Hi Oliver,

>On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 11:25:34AM -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you're trying to do, but you only turn on RunOSPF in
>> Ethernet->Mod Config->OSPF Options if you want to speak OSPF out the
>> Ethernet port. If you're trying to speak OSPF to a particular profile, turn
>> on RunOSPF in that profile, and turn it _off_ in Ethernet->Mod Config. Not
>> really obvious.
>
>We're trying to announce/propagate the routes via OSPF to area 0
>when a customer connects. We're currently running RIP, which works
>fine in this aspect. Our problem is that some of our equipment
>(Livingston PM2E) only does RIP v1, the ciscos do RIP v2. It's a
>real hassle to get all those boxes to see the same routes, that's
>why we started testing OSPF.
>So basically, when a customer connects to our max4000 with a framed
>address of 194.49.87.46/24 (authentication is done via radius) we'd
>like to see that route announced via OSPF.

That's exactly what we use it for and it works great. There's a few bugs,
but generally it's really good. Once we got OSPF running -- and it was
really easy (and I knew nothing about it) -- we were able to delete almost
all static routes and all our clients with static subnets were able to
connect to any router. Perfect.

The point I was trying to make is this: you only turn on OSPF on the
interfaces/profiles connecting to the other devices you want to speak OSPF
to.

For example, we use a Max 4000 and a TNT, connected to each other via T1.
They speak OSPF to each other, but no-one else. For this reason, the Max
4000 has RunOSPF enabled in the "MaxTNT" profile, and vice versa, and
neither device has RunOSPF enabled on the Ethernet port(s).

This may be the opposite of what you're doing, or it may not.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/