(ASCEND) dial *out* with Max1800 k56 modems -- not 8 bit clean ?

It's an old song...

I want to use the modems in our 1800 to support dial *out* uucp
traffic.

We are *not* an ISP.  Our traffic is almost entirely outgoing.

I have tried a number of methods to access the modems.

1. GNU/Taylor uucp has built in support to use telnet to access modems
in a terminal server (I am using the 'i' protocol, but 'g' and 'G'
have been used too).

2. nd/tcpcon creates /dev/pty's that connect to tcp ports on a remote
host.

3. rtty does the same thing, but is a little cleaner.

CU works great, but uucico has trouble.  It looks to me like the data
path to the modems is not 8 bit clean, (but it could be a handshaking
problem).

I can use a command like 'cu -l /dev/ttyrf' and the process rtty will
open a tcp connection to port 5000 on the 1800.  All traffic in both
directions flows through this rtty's connection.  Works like a charm!

But uucico chokes.  I can pass about 8 or 9 k of 7bit ascii through a
uucico connection.  But if the remote file is any larger, the
connection chokes on a lot of checksum errors.  If there is less than
about 8k, there are zero checksum errors.  This suggests a handshaking
problem.

If there is *any* size of 8 bit data (ie. a gzip'd file), then nothing
gets through.  Check sum errors happen on the first packet.  This
suggests the connection is not 8bit clean.

One other terminal server manufacturer (I forget who, might be
computone, or maybe digi?) has two ranges of telnet ports that is used
to get around this problem.  The second range is used when you want a
"raw" (I guess this means 8 bit clean) tcp connection.

To connect to the 1800's modems, I am using port 5000.

Keep in mind, this is dial "out" that I am trying to do.

I don't think the TServ parameters apply to these connections, but
just in case, I set telnet mode=binary, and buffer characters=no.

I posted a similiar question a couple of weeks ago, and although a
couple of fellows tried to help, it turned out (after a bit of email
exchange), their systems only did dial *in* uucp.

My 1800 is running 5.0Ap36.  The Unix system is a Sparc 20, Solaris
2.5.

Kind regards,
Larry