(ASCEND) Re: TNT 672 modems, DS3 Channelized

>From: Stephen Balbach <stephen@clark.net>
>
>On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Elvis Presley wrote:
>
>> One thing, do you want to lay all your dial in traffic on a DS3?  Suppose
>> that DS3 goes down.  Out goes...er...672 dial in lines.  Suppose the TNT
>> goes down?  Same thing.
>
>All PRI's are mux'd into a DS3 as soon as they hit the CO.
>Your allready using a DS3 now. PRI's are much less reliable, cards fail,
>copper fails. DS3's reliability is much higher the DS1's. By going with a
>DS3 handoff you elimiate an extra de-mux/mux step and the equipment point
>of failures it contains.

Another pro of DS3 is that you'll get the full attention of your telco's
NOC if you do have a failure. With T1/PRI you get Regular Telco Support.
<shudder>

>As for the MAX TNT - thats what Im hopeing to find out. Is it reliable?

I'm sure Jason Nealis knows the answer to this better than anyone,
including Ascend, but IME the TNT has been more reliable that the 400x.
Better, but not perfect. When you have a TNT problem, a lot more people
feel it.

As with DS3 support, when you call Ascend on a TNT issue, you get help from
Someone Who Knows, pronto.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com