(ASCEND) Strange problem with 5.0Ap36 and dialout

I have a MAX4000 w/48 kflex modems which I just upgraded to 5.0Ap36. It was
previously running 5.0Ap16.

This box has a mix of ISDN calls and modem calls. I have about a dozen local
profiles on the box. About 5 of them are bidirectional (we call them and
they can call us). Right after upgrading to 5.0Ap36, I am unable to dial out
to the ISDN customers, but they can dial into us just fine! When the dialout
occurs, it shows the connection was terminated and the message window shows
"No Connection Cause Code 044" over and over for each dial attempt.

At first I thought it was a telco problem (GTE in my case), but they have
checked things over and say that dialout should work and that they haven't
touched anything. Given the sequence of events, I believe them. The three
PRI going into this box are from a DMS100, the first 2 are NFAS and have all
the modem calls, and the last is FAS and has all the ISDN calls.

Has anyone seen this? Which release did it start happening in? Is it fixed
in p38?

One weird thing that happened: I was trying to track it down with one
customer and I had them reset both send and receive to the same thing. Then
I tried to dial them and it still didn't work but I didn't get the cause
code 044. The customer looked in his Netopia's log and it showed a PAP error
saying that the username I was using didn't match his. Sure enough, the
customer had somehow changed the username I was supposed to come in as to
something else. After I had him change it back to the correct string, the
calls started to fail with cause code 044 again. This indicates to me that
the MAX is actually getting out enough to send the username (at least when
the username isn't right :) so this further indicates that it isn't a telco
problem and more a firmware issue.

Any help is much appreciated. I am going to call Ascend tech support first
thing tomorrow, but I wanted to check with the list since I figure that
someone else might have seen this already.