(ASCEND) Ringing Problem

I have the Ascend Pipeline 75, version 1 (not the new one..)  When I am on
a modem (yes, it happens still :)) and a call comes in, the Pipe seems to
be sending a large amount of line noise during the ringing, usually
causing my modem to drop connection.  I can hear audible 'clicking' in
the Pipe during the rings and that noise seems to coincide with the modems
ARQ light flashing off and on and causing the modem to drop connection.

I have unplugged ALL phones from the Pipe except the modem itself and it
still will 'click' for each incoming ring and cause the modem to drop
connect.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Bob