(ASCEND) IP address conflict on a Max 2000

I have a Max 2000 running 5.0A.....I have now added a secondary Internet
(128k ISDN ) connection dialing out from the MAX.  When I add a second IP
address to the MAX it causes an IP address conflict on all of the
workstations attempting to use that subnet.......

For example, the Max was originally configured with just 1 IP address
(let's say 200.200.200.1).  When I assign it a second IP address (let's say
100.100.100.1) it accepts it and sets up the proper routes because the dial
out connection is active.....I can ping out to the Internet from the MAX on
the secondary connection.  The problem comes when I try to change any of
the workstations on the Ethernet from being on 200.200.200.xxx to being on
100.100.100.xxx.......The workstations report an IP address conflict with
the MAX's Ethernet MAC address.....This happens on all of the workstations
trying to use the 100.100.100.xxx network......

Is there something that I am missing....?????  Is this not possible.....????
?

TIA

Alex Simpson
Director of Technical Services