Re: (ASCEND) dial up problem with bridging

At 12:11 PM 6/5/97 -0400, Vince DiBernardo wrote:

> Kevin, maybe you can help us with this particular situation or someone
> else who has come across it..
>
> We are trying to use a max4000 with 2 PRI s in a POP and are running into
> the following problem Network Diagram [Internet] -> [Main Network] ->
> [max1800 (4.6Cp8)] ---Bridged-> [max4000 (4.6C)] <- [Dialup PPP Users]

Are the dialup users assigned addresses in the same subnet as the MAX4000?

What does the routing table look like on the MAXen? Are you using a routing
protocol, or static routes to the main network ?

> Note: The only equipment located in the POP is the max4000 with 2PRI's We
> are using a max 1800 to bridge to our max4000 for use as a POP.  When we
> dial into the max4000 with an analog modem it will authenticate the call
> from our radius server which located in our main office through a bridge
> and connect the call.  It assigns the proper IP address to the modem and
> logs the call.
>
> However the remote user can not communicate with any system
> except the max4000 and the systems located in our main office can not
> communicate with the modems connected to the max4000.

The "network" behind the MAX doesn't know about the clients then. Either
a proxy-mode issue, or route propagation ?

> Things that do work
>
> - I can telnet from our main office to the max4000 and communicate with
> the modems from the max4000.  - I can telnet from the modem to the max4000
> and communicate with the systems in our main office.  - If I plug a system
> into the Ethernet on the max4000 I can communicate with it from both the
> modems connected to the max4000 and the computers in the main office.  - I

So on the segment between the MAXen, hosts *do* know about the remote clients.
What about the MAX1800 itself ?

> can also dial into the max4000 with a terminal connection to our UNIX box,
> which is located in our main office and use shell.  - I can dial into the
> max4000 with a pipeline 50 and can bridge another network through the 50
> -> 4000 -> 1800 -> [main network] with no problems as well.
>
> Things that do not work
>
> - I can not communicate from the modem ports on the max4000 to
> any system in the main office or on the Internet.  - I can not communicate
> from any system in our main office or on the Internet to the dialup ports
> on the max4000.  Things to note - The max was previously used in our main
> office for incoming calls and worked perfectly.  - Ethernet/Mod
> Config/Ether Options/Proxy Mode=Active is already set.

Can the modem user communicate with the MAX1800?

Kevin